If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (281) 403-2256

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

MOLD: DON’T LET IT GROW

3/13/2017 (Permalink)

MOLD: DON’T LET IT GROW

FROM THE ORDINARY

Fungi and mold naturally occur in our environment. In fact, over 100,000 kinds of fungi have been identified. Fungi produce some very useful results. Yeast is a type of fungi used in preparing breads, baked goods and other food products, including some alcoholic beverages. The unique flavor of blue cheese is a result of mold. An edible mushroom is simply a type of fungi, and lifesaving penicillin is a product of mold (Penicillin chrysogenum). Even though some forms of mold can add value to our lives, other forms can be harmful. Excessive amounts of mold, different types of mold, and/or exposure to molds may present health concerns for some people.

TO THE UNHEALTHY

Intrusion of water into your home or place of business can result in mold growth. Water intrusions can result from storm damage, plumbing or equipment failures, long-standing leaks and poor humidity control. When water intrusions are not addressed right away, the resulting damage can present increased risk of harmful mold growth. Some amount of mold spores are normally present in most environments. If the humidity and moisture levels in a water-damaged environment are not promptly returned to normal, mold spores may grow and multiply. Organic materials found inside a building, such as wood, paper, drywall and insulation, provide food sources for mold to flourish. Excessive mold growth can lead to indoor environmental conditions that pose a health threat.

TAKE PRECAUTIONS

SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals handle water damages every day and know prompt action is required to prevent mold growth. Mold is more likely to spread when an environment has been subject to moisture for a long period of time. If your property has sustained a recent water damage, it is vital to remove excess water and dry the structure promptly. If there is an ongoing moisture problem in the building, it is important to be alert for: The presence of visible mold. Strong musty odors which may indicate mold is present. Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth. Excessive humidity. These conditions may require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.

HELP IS HERE

If you think you might have a mold problem, call 281-403-2256. A SERVPRO® Franchise Professional trained in mold remediation will examine the structure for any visible signs of mold. In the event mold is found, you will be asked to approve and sign a work authorization form prior to any mold cleanup or related work being performed. The technician may also recommend you leave the affected area while the mold cleanup and associated containment process is being safely completed. If extensive mold growth is present, additional assistance may be required. Some situations require the addition of an Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional with the specialized equipment and services needed to assess and/or repair property. You may wish to consult your adjuster if needed.

INDOOR AIR QUALITY/ENVIRONMENTAL PROFESSIONALS

Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professionals evaluate the quality of the air inside a structure. Some specialize and are skilled in testing buildings for the presence of molds. Using various testing devices, these professionals collect air and surface samples to compare the indoor mold spore count to the outdoor environment. If you have concerns about mold, the SERVPRO® Franchise Professional can assist you in locating a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional. SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals care about proper restoration of your structure. In most water damage situations, excessive mold growth is not a problem and SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals can safely restore your building to preloss condition. The need to address the presence of mold can only be determined by an on-site, indoor environmental inspection. Please keep in mind SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals do not interpret insurance policies or coverage; you must consult your insurance company to determine the scope of policy coverage.

Other News

View Recent Posts